Points To Ponder About Noah’s Flood
2 Peter 3:3—8 tells us that people who scoff at the Bible are “willingly ignorant” of the creation and the Flood. In order to understand science and the Bible, we must not be ignorant of those two great events in Earth’s history.
Other Points to Ponder
- More than 250 Flood legends from all parts of the world have been found. Most have similarities to the Genesis account, but none of them contain all the details of the Genesis account. This suggests that the Genesis account is the original, and all others are derived from it.
- Noah’s ark was built only to float, not to sail anywhere. Scoffers have pointed out that the largest sailing ships were less than 300 feet because of the problem of twisting and flexing the boat. These ships had giant masts, and sails to catch the wind. Noah’s ark needed neither of those and therefore had far less torsion-related stress. Ark researchers have shown that early post-Flood civilizations, such as the Sumerians, built large wooden boats, with systems such as mortise and tenons, which allow for less stress.
- Even using the small 18-inch cubit (someone that is a height of 6-ft. 1-in. has a 21-in. cubit) the ark was large enough to hold all the required animals, people and food with room to spare.
- The length-to-width-to-height ratio of 300 to 50 to 30 is what shipbuilders today often use. This is the best ratio for stability in stormy weather. (God thinks of everything!)
- God told Noah to bring two of each kind (seven pairs of some), not of each species or variety. Noah had only two of the dog kind, which would include the wolves, coyotes, foxes, mutts, etc. The kind grouping is probably closer to our modern family division in taxonomy. The idea that the Ark would need millions of animals on-board, because there are millions of species, can therefore be seen to be incorrect. Animals have diversified into many varieties in the last 4400 years since the Flood, in a process known as speciation. This speciation is not anything similar to great claims that the evolutionists teach. Speciation selects from within an existing gene pool, whereas molecules-to-man evolution would require new genetic information to be spontaneously generated.
- Noah did not have to get the animals. God brought them to him (Gen. 6:20, “shall come to thee”).
- Only land-dwelling, air-breathing animals had to be included on the ark (Gen. 7:15, “in which is the breath of life,” 7:22). Noah did not need to bring all the thousands of insect varieties. Invertebrates can be shown to survive flooding, often by using floating vegetation mats.
- Many animals sleep, hibernate or become inactive during bad weather.
- The pre-Flood people were probably much smarter and more advanced than people today. The longer life spans, Adam’s direct contact with God, and the fact that they could glean the wisdom of many generations that were still alive would greatly expand their knowledge base.
- The Bible says that the highest mountains were covered by 15 cubits of water. This is half the height of the ark. The ark was safe from scraping bottom at all times.
- The large mountains, as we have them today, did not exist until after the Flood when “the mountains arose and the valleys sank down” (Ps. 104:5-9, Gen. 8:3-8).
- There is enough water in the oceans right now to cover the earth 8,000 feet deep if the surface of the earth were smooth.
- Many claim to have seen the ark in recent times in the area in which the Bible says it landed. The Bible says the ark landed in the “mountains” of Ararat, not necessarily on the mountain itself. However, most such “sightings” are of dubious authenticity, and the best evidence that the Ark existed is in the Bible itself.
- The Flood was initiated by the breaking open of the fountains of the deep (Genesis 7:11). This probably indicates massive volcanic and seismic activity, which would have divided the crust into the various tectonic platesthat we have today.
- Ocean basin crust material is younger than the continental material which sits on it. This suggests that the pre-Flood continent divided, due to catastrophic tectonic movement. There is considerable evidence from the ocean basin around the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, that plate tectonic movement was once very rapid indeed. So, the present continental structure could have developed, while still submerged, within a few weeks of the beginning of the Flood.
- The top 3,000 feet of Mt. Everest (from 26,000 to 29,000 feet) is made up of sedimentary rock packed with seashells and other ocean-dwelling animals.
- Sedimentary rock is found all over the world (this is formed in water).
- Petrified clams in the closed position (found all over the world) testify to their rapid burial while they were still alive, even on top of Mount Everest.
- Bent rock layers, fossil graveyards, and poly-strata fossils are best explained by a Flood.
- People choose to not believe in the Flood because it speaks of the judgment of God on sin (2 Pet. 3:3-8). Fossils are like Gospel tracts, reminding us of the truth of the Flood, the judgment of God and His mercy in salvation.
Download a FREE Bible study
Do a personal or group study on Noah’s Flood. Enter your email address and a PDF will be sent to you. *You’ll also receive weekly e-mail updates with other videos and articles. You can unsubscribe at anytime.
Enter your email address to download Points to Ponder About Noahs Flood
- Noah’s Ark: Thinking Outside the Box by Tim Lovett
- Earth’s Catastrophic Past by Dr. Andrew Snelling
- What are some of the best Flood evidences in New Answers Book 3 edited by Ken Ham
- Download this episode in high quality for just $5.00
- Get all the facts and more in the Beginnings DVD curriculum.
Age of the EarthApologeticsAstronomyAtheismBaraminologyCreationCreationBytesDarwindaysDinosaursDragonsEducationEvangelismEvolutionFlood & GeologyFossils & Ancient ManFuzzy WordsGarden of EdenGenesis 3D MovieGod & the BibleHebrewHigh School ScienceHistoryQuestion & AnswerRadiometric DatingReligion & PhilosophySocial Issues